Irving is centrally situated within the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The city is home to plenty of attractions, from major sporting events to historic sites and modern art. The city offers many opportunities for relaxation, recreation and entertainment. And with a central location, Irving offers plenty of fun and adventure. Did you know that it is one of the Texas’s strongest economies? Did you know that he Boy Scouts of America, one of the largest youth organizations in the US is headquartered in Irving? Here are some more interesting facts about Irving.
Image By Wesley Fryer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wfryer/5118504621/) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0) or CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Irving Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Irving is in Dallas County, Texas.
- It covers the Las Colinas Community.
- It is situated on Texas State Highway 183 and is within reach to Interstate highways 35 and 30.
- The ethnic composition of Irving includes White- 64.2%, Latino or Hispanic of any- 31.2%, African American-10.2%, Native American-0.7%, Asian-8.24%, Pacific Islander-0.13%, Other races- 13.4%, and two or more races-3.20%.
- Asian Indians are the largest Asian ethnic group in the city.
Irving History Fast Facts
- In 1889, Irving started as a settlement known as Gorbit.
- The settlement name was changed to “Kit” in 1894.
- In 1903, Irving town was founded by Otis Brown and Otto Schulze as a rail link between Fort Worth and Dallas.
- It was named after Washington Irving, Mrs. Brown fave literary author.
- The town’s population grew to 500 in 1912.
- In 1914, the town of Irving was formally incorporated and the first mayor was Otis Brown.
- The University of Dallas, Irving was founded in 1956.
- In 1971, Texas Stadium, the Dallas Cowboys home field was built.
Irving Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Irving has a Council-Manager type of government.
- The city is home to several Fortune 500 companies, including Nokia America, Exxon Mobile, and the Blackberry American headquarters.
- It is one of the Texas’s healthiest and strongest economies.
- It is one the fastest growing cities in Texas.
- The Boy Scouts of America, one of the largest youth organizations in the US is headquartered in Irving, Texas.